Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Verdict is In

I guess "verdict" isn't quite the right word, but I couldn't think of anything catchier.

So we got the test results back.  Baby Girl is allergic to milk.

I knew my other children were senstive to milk--it gave them all diahrhea until they were about 2 1/2 years old.  At this point I don't know if it was a milk allergy, or just a sensitivity.  In this case I do know.   

I'm still nursing Baby Girl, so I plan on cutting out dairy compltely from my diet.  I am already using rice milk for my cereal, but I will go back to non-dairy ice cream and cut out all cheese. I am hoping by doing so we'll be able to figure out if Baby Girl's rash is really due to the oats or due to the milk I've been ingesting in small quantities.  

Funnily enough, oats and barley were not tested, though wheat was.  She is not allergic to wheat, though a wheat allergy is not the same as celiacs disease.    Our doctor wants to send us to a pediatric gastroenterologist to look at her and run the necessary blood test.  The fact Baby Girl has not gained weight is reason enough to have her examined.

I will post more on her progress as we move forward.  I'm still paying attention to her sensory issues.  We got into a study looking at siblings at our "favorite Autism medical center".  I just want to do what I can for my baby to grow and develop the best she can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment