Friday, May 31, 2013

GI Scopes--Sounds a Bit Like GI Joe Only Not Quite as Cool

Did you ever watch GI Joe cartoons as a kid?  I'm a child of the 80's and I loved to watch GI Joe every afternoon.  Every cartoon would end with some type of lesson or moral message and the phrase, "And knowing is half the battle." 

We had Baby Girl's GI scope and it went okay.  My sweet husband worked from home so I could get up extra early to fight rush hour traffic and be at the hospital for her procedure.  He would have come with me, but we needed to get the other kids off to school. 

I was allowed to nurse her until 7 am and then no liquids whatsoever.  She didn't get any food from before midnight the night before. 

We got her checked in and there were all kinds of kids there having a multitude of surgical procedures done in the pediatric surgical center.  One young man who had a hard time speaking fluidly told me he thought Baby Girl was a cute baby.  He then proceded to ask me what kind of car I drove.  I told him a minivan. He told me he wanted to drive a Dodge Viper, because they were cool. 

He was having surgery related to injuries he sustained from a hit and run accident where he was a pedestrian.  They never caught the person who hit him. He was lovely to talk to, and I admire the courage he exhibits as he is trying to pull his life back together after a devastating accident. 

The procedure went smoothly.  The most heartbreaking moment for me was when I walked Baby Girl back to the operating room and they put the gas mask on her so she would go to sleep.  The look on her face said, "Why are you doing this to me?" 

She looked so tiny in her recovery bed. 

The doctor did not find any obvious signs of inflammation, but she took biospies of several areas to test.  We'll know the results in a few weeks. 

And knowing is half the battle. 

Maybe then we can have a plan of action that will allow us to help my daughter gain (and keep) weight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment