Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Listening

Have you ever had one of those moments when you just knew that something was wrong? Or that someone was in danger and you just had to act quickly? Or maybe you felt impressed that you should call a friend or stop by only to find out how much you were needed? That perhaps you were an answer to prayers?

I believe those still small moments are when the Holy Ghost is speaking to us-telling us something we should know. I had one of those moments today and I am very grateful.

I was in the bathroom getting ready for the day. I had already read my scriptures for the morning.  A few minutes before, Baby Girl had followed me into the closet. I turned out the light and walked to the bathroom-expecting her to follow me as she usually does. I was in the bathroom getting ready for a few minutes when I knew with absolute certainty I needed to drop everything and run because Baby Girl was at the top of the stairs in a precarious position.

I ran.

When I turned the corner I saw she was in the position I knew she would be in--sitting at the edge of the top stair dangerously close to toppling over.

I also knew instantly and with certainty I should grab her outstretched hand and pull her closer to me before picking her up--instead of picking her up the way I usually do. Thinking back on it now, I think had I picked her up like normal she would have arched backwards like she always does, and she would have tumbled down those stairs from losing her balance.

I know that Heavenly Father was looking out for my family today. I had been slow to put up the baby gate.  I am so grateful for the prompting I received, and that I was listening and quick to respond. That has not always been the case, and I have paid the price when I did not listen.

I hope we all make time in our lives to listen to the still, small voice of the Holy Ghost.

No comments:

Post a Comment